Planning is no doubt an important aspect of our lives. As human beings, we have to make sure that we manage our time with our jobs and businesses, while still making time for our families, friends, hobbies, and health concerns. When we plan our week and our days carefully, we can create a clear path and achieve a balance between “work and play.”
However, when we become too busy and our schedules become too filled, we tend to forget all about planning and end up multi-tasking. And so, we need to remind ourselves of the importance of an ideal week planner so that we can become successful, even in the smallest of tasks.
Here are three important reasons why we need to create plans with an ideal week planner.
Planning helps reduce stress
It’s undeniable that one of the reasons why many working adults and students are stressed is the overwhelming amount of work. Often, when we know that there’s so much to do, we panic and we overthink. We think about how we can do this one thing when we need to also accomplish other things.
When we plan, however, we can get peace of mind because we know that all of the things we need to do are attainable. It also helps us to prioritize the things that we need to do, therefore helping us to stay calm.
Planning prepares us for obstacles
When we plan, we should always consider the possible problems that we may face and set up contingency plans. This way, when a problem does come, we can easily solve it and move forward.
Planning evaluates your progress
Planning lets you know if you’re right on track or if you’re behind your schedule. Therefore, you can easily evaluate your progress.
Now that we’ve narrowed down why planning is important, it’s time for us to think about the best steps to create a plan.
- Define your goals – This helps you get a clear path of what you’re really aiming for. Make sure to take a few minutes to write it down.
- Think of what you need to do to achieve your goals – Next, list in a logical order all of the tasks needed to help you get to where you want to be. Also, give an estimated time for each of the tasks.
- Define the roles – Identify what role you will be doing in order to achieve the goal. Also, identify the roles of others that will be assisting you.
- Schedule the tasks – Make sure to plan not only a weekly schedule but a daily one as well. This is so that you can keep track of your progress. Don’t worry if you ever fall behind. You can always make adjustments.
- Use tools – Nowadays, there are lots of apps and devices that can help you plan such as mobile phones and computers. Some of the apps you can use are Google Calendar and TimeTackle.
- Google Calendar is a free cloud-based tool that you can use with your Google account. Since it is also cloud-based, many other Google users can also collaborate on it if you send them an invite. You can also create multiple calendars for different projects. On each calendar, you can then input tasks and details. You can also assign it to fellow Google users. You can also set reminders for each task so that you can keep track.
- TimeTackle is an online app that lets you export your Google Calendar data into a downloadable file. It is even more helpful when you are in the final stages of your project and making a report on it because TimeTackle can merge all the hours and duration of the details in your calendar. That way, you can evaluate if you were able to successfully follow your plan.