Google Sheets is the digital version of a paper spreadsheet, which allows you to create, edit, and organize data in a grid format. You can use this free tool from Google to make budgets, lists, schedules, and so on.
You can access Google Sheets from any device and operating system using an internet connection. So, collaboration in real-time is much easier.
Furthermore, you can create charts, do complex calculations, and apply formatting to make your data simple and more organized. Google Sheets from Google is a handy tool for a wide range of tasks.
What are the best features of Google Sheets?
The following features make Google Sheets a powerful and versatile tool:
- Real-time collaboration: Work on the same sheet with your team simultaneously for better collaboration.
- Cloud-based: It’s a cloud-based platform, meaning your data is stored in a cloud. You can access your data from anywhere in the world.
- Built-in dormulas: Google Sheets a wide range of built-in calculations and complex data analysis.
- Data visualization: Make your data more appealing and comprehensive using graphs and charts.
- Add-ons: There are various add-ons available on Google Sheets, such as mail merging or project management.
- Data import: Import files in various formats, CSV or external databases, using Sheets.
- Version history: You can track all the activities in Google Sheets using version history.
- Customizable templates: There a many pre-designed templates on Google Sheets to get you started.
Aside from these, there are other features, such as the auto-save feature allows you to store your data and activities automatically.
Does Google Sheets track time?
There is no dedicated or built-in Google Sheets time tracking feature. However, if you want, you can create your own Google Sheets time tracker.
Many users built custom Google Sheets time tracking templates or use add-ons. So, you can use this custom Google time tracker to monitor tasks performed or time spent on projects.
If you want to create a Google Sheets time tracker, start by designing columns for tasks, start time, end time, and any other relevant information. Then use the built-in formulas in Google Sheets to calculate the total time per task.
Also, you can import different Google Sheets time tracking templates from the internet and customize them.
How do I make a timesheet?
Although the Google Sheets time tracking feature doesn’t exist, you can create customized timesheets to meet your needs. Just follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Log in to your Google account and open Google Sheets
- Step 2: Now, you can either start designing the timesheet from scratch or choose an available template. You will find some good ones in the template gallery if you search for “time tracking” or “timesheet.”
- Step 3: Start designing your columns. All your relevant data must be in columns in Google Sheets.
- Step 4: After you have designed your columns, start entering your data. Input task description, start time, and other information.
- Step 5: Use formulas to calculate the total hours spent on a task. You can click on an empty cell and type “=SUM(Start Cell: End Cell)”, and you’ll have the total.
- Step 6: Now, you can start customizing your timesheet according to your whims. Change fonts or colors. You can make charts or create tables.
- Step 7: Save and share your file with your colleagues so that you can collaborate easily.
Using this simple guideline, you can indirectly use the Google Sheets time tracking feature and create your own Google Sheets time tracking template.
Should you go for the Google Sheets time tracking?
|Google Sheets time tracker is simple and accessible
|Manual data entry is time-consuming
|Creating a personalized Google time tracker is handy
|Limited scope for automation
|Google Sheets is a free Google tool which makes it cost-efficient
|Google Sheets cannot generate advanced time-tracking insights
|Real-time collaboration with simultaneous edits is possible
|Scalability issue rises as the number of projects or tasks increases
|Integrations with other Google Workspace tools and third-party apps are possible
|Data safety is ensured as all sheets are stored in your Google drive
How to make the most out of Google Sheets time tracking?
Google Sheets is a versatile option for basic time tracking needs, but it may not be as efficient as dedicated time tracking software for more complex or automated tracking requirements.
So, for more advanced time tracking capabilities and automated features, you might consider using dedicated time tracking software or tools designed for this purpose. These tools often provide more robust functionalities, such as automated time tracking, reports, and integrations with other apps.
One such tool is Tackle. Tackle provides seamless integration with Google Sheets so that you can track time and task progress easily. It can even sync your Google Calendar data with your Google Sheets account.
Try the Tackle app. It’s free, forever!
Tackle provides seamless integration with a bunch of other tools that cater to your team’s needs. In addition, you can generate real-time dynamic insights using Tackle.
In summary, Google Sheets time tracker is not an innate feature, but it can be customized to create a basic time tracking system. If you require extensive time tracking and reporting, dedicated time tracking tools might be a better fit.